Make reading a priority for your family
It can be hard to fit “family reading time” into today’s hectic schedules. But the benefits for your child greatly outweigh the hassle. By making reading a family priority, you show your child that reading is very important—and also a fun activity.
To promote reading as a family:
• Set aside family reading time each day. Even 15 minutes a day is a great start.
• Pick a regular time for reading. This will make it easier to fit into your schedule. This
demonstrates that reading time is too important to miss.
• Decide how to spend the reading time. You can read a book aloud as a family, or everyone can read silently to themselves.
• Keep it interesting. To prevent your reading routine from becoming stale, act out a play together. Or create a monthly reading challenge. Just keep reading!
• Read books you like and enjoy. Enthusiasm is contagious!
Copyright © 2008 The Parent Institute® www.parent-institute.com
May be reproduced by Building Readers newsletter subscribers.